DISCOVER FOOTBALL – Project 2019/2020
Promoting Gender Equality through Women’s Empowerment in Football in North Lebanon and the MENA Region
In the last 20 years, many women's football clubs have been founded in the MENA region (Middle East and North Africa), but the football players in many countries are still confronted with resistances and there is a lack of explicit promotion of women's football from state actors and public institutions. As a result, the potential of women's football to promote gender equality, especially the potential of grassroots football, cannot be used to its full extent.
The overall objective of the project is to increase gender equality in North Lebanon and the MENA region by strengthening female football players and coaches as well as football structures for women. Our project aims to bring the participating women in touch through their common passion. Almost everywhere in the world, football is a male domain and thus a mirror of the existing gender inequalities in society. In consequence, the right to play football is also a step towards a more active role of women in society and contributes to the image of women in the respective
This project consists of four phases:
- Needs Assessment /Orientation Meeting in Berlin (November 2019): Strategy session with four football experts from Lebanon to exchange ideas and identify goals for the project
- Conference in Berlin (January 2020): Footballers and experts from Lebanon and neighboring regions are invited to Berlin
- Online Survey (July 2020): Promoting Women in Leadership positions in football in Nothern Lebanon
- Female Leadership Programme (October 2020): Online workshop series with the possibility to attend a seminar in Tripoli, Lebanon
- Action Days (November 2020): Each participant of the Leadership Programme will act as a multiplier and create an own women's football event!
"Promoting Gender Equality through Women’s Empowerment in Football in North Lebanon and the MENA Region" is part of the Local Development Programme for Urban Areas in North Lebanon (UDP_NL) that is implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in partnership with DISCOVER FOOTBALL and the Ministry of Social Affairs. UDP_NL is co-funded by the European Union and Germany.