Strengthening women in and through football in Iraq & KRI
Strengthening women in and through football in Iraq & KRI (part 2)
We are really happy to get the opportunity to extend our project Strengthening women in and through football in Iraq & KRI. From August 2022 till December 2022 we intensify our contacts and knowledge from the last project (see below). During four month, 15 women from Iraq & KRI will take part in a series of capacity building workshops online. Experts from our international network (Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt etc.) are conducting different workshops around the topics: safeguarding in sports, communication, leadership skills, gender-based violence etc.
To implement the new leadership skills, the participants have formed small and regional groups to organize women’s football events in their region: From October till December 2022 a total of five „Action Days“ will take place in Maysan, Baghdad, Nineveh, Chanaqin & Duhok where around 50 young women and children are invited to get in touch with football, refereeing, blind soccer and other activities.
Below you can see some impressions from the already past Action days
Strengthening women in and through football in Iraq & KRI (part 1) l 2020-22
The project Strengthening women in and through football in Iraq & KRI ran from November 2020 to March 2022 and over 100 women and girls from Iraq and KRI were reached.
The core team of the project consisted of 15 women from Iraq /KRI and 5 experts from the WANA region(West Asia and North Africa).
Participants included women players, coaches, referees, club officials, women responsible for football at the administrative level, and sports journalists.
The project consisted of five modules:
- M1: Needs-analysis, including an online survey (November 2020 – February 2021)
- M2: Online leadership curriculum (10 online sessions) with 20 selected participants (January – December 2021) Verlinkung zur Leadership Unterseite
- M3: Conference in Berlin: Participants of the Leadership Programme were invited to Berlin for a networking event and to develop own football events in their region
- M4: Implementation of 5 women and girls’ football events (Action Days) in Iraq & KRI, followed by a networking meeting in Erbil (November 2021)
- M5: Capacity Building (5 online sessions) and cooperation with local partners (February 2022)
The aim of the programme was to learn and strengthen the participant’s leadership skills, as well as applying them to their local sports contexts. Additionally, it aimed to increase the participation of women and girls in sport and society in Iraq/KRI.