Sport Disrupted Conference
30. – 31. Oct 2019 – Heinrich-Böll-Foundation
Sport Disrupted: Sex_uality Matters (Conference)
Sex_uality matters, and this becomes most apparent in the sports world: Competition is organized around normative notions of two, and only two biological sexes. But what happens if athletes fail to match the idealized versions of femininity and masculinity? Following the case of Ugandan middle-distance runner Annet Negesa, the film tackles the discriminating and racist sex testing policies enforced by sports governing bodies.
The film is based on the 2019 international conference „Sport disrupted. Sex_uality matters“: LGBTIQ and feminist sports activists engaged in a critical conversation about gender binary, sex testing, homo-, inter- and trans-phobia in sports, and mobilized for joint efforts to fight for a more inclusive sports world.
- effects of sports gender binary and heteronormativity on amateur and professional athletes
- consequences of homophobia / transphobia / interphobia on the daily lives of amateurs and professionals
- sport as tool for empowering LBGTIQ people
- visions and possibilities for an inclusive and non-binary sports world
- challenges for and the meaning of fair competition
- lessons to learn from non-binary grass roots sports and LGBTIQ projects